By Masilo Malakwane
QWAQWA – Three members of the five victims of brutal killing at Marakong, were laid to rest on April10,2021.
An emotional scene as residents of Marakong and surrounding stood in front of three coffins carrying corpses of people from same family while bidding them final farewells.
Masabata Lemeku (50), and her two children, Relebohile and Tatolo were buried last Saturday but family says they are numb with pain and tried to get the answers but could not.
A family representative Relebohile Putswa said they are still in disbelief on how his aunt and kids perished in blazing fire.
“We are very sad indeed, heartbroken and shocked about their untimely passing. We’ve got many unanswered questions. But we believe in our justice system even though we know getting the suspects arrested won’t bring back their live,” said the grieving Putswa.
He further stated that the remaining kids of the late Masabata who narrowly escaped the death after flames licked to the shack are still trying to pick up the pieces, while the 12-month-old baby who succumbed nose injuries apparently after being hit with a knobkerrie is recovering well in hospital but in the hands of the Saps and Social development watchful eyes.
Masabata workers union Sactwu described her as a humorist and bubbly person while union local secretary Mmaleeto Mosia said Masabata was very humorous and full of life.
“We could not believe the news of her sudden passing, as we have lost one of those unreplaceable soul. Our thoughts are with the family in this trying times while seeking closure” lamented Mosia
Diphapang Elias Sefatsa who is the ward 23 councilor described the occurrence as appalling and barbaric.
“It’s quite clear that our areas are been engulfed by mass gangsterism and crimes. This is evident that our community safety in under siege, we never experienced such behaviors in our community before. My humble plea to our residents is to please let’s look after one other and we trust the police will ensure that the family of Lemeku gets the justice they deserve” said Sefatsa who was accompanied by his wife.
According to Sefatsa the other couple who also died in the crossfire, Safolo Mofokeng and Modiehi Thwabala will also be laid to rest on Saturday.
So far the police have succeeded four suspects linked to the attack and are investigating if the motive was any revenge.
A 20- year old Selimo Tsoeute , was the first suspect to be arrested before stipulated time of 72 hours, while Leponesa Tsoeute,24, and Thabo Mnguni ,43, were arrest two days after. The trio have already appeared before court on April ,12 and case was postponed to April 19 for further investigation.
The fourth co-accused Mothae Tsoeute,41, appeared separately on April 15 but will appear alongside three co -accused on April 19 .
The four are facing charges of murder ,attempted murder, arson, defeating ends of justice and aiding escape.