By Emily Setona
QWAQWA – A family of five has been left with almost nothing after a devastating midnight fire destroyed their home and belongings in Phuthaditjhaba, leaving a disabled woman, her elderly mother and two grandchildren desperately in need of food and basic necessities.
The fire broke out shortly after midnight on Saturday, 15 August, while the family was asleep.
Paulina Phalo, 48, who lives with her 76-year-old mother, Annacleda Nhlapo, and two grandchildren, said the family was caught off guard when flames began spreading through the house.
Nhlapo was sleeping in the television room when she was awakened by intense heat around her feet.
She discovered that a table had caught fire.
Nhlapo said she had woken up because she wanted to use her snuff — a decision she believes may have saved her life.
“I am grateful to still be alive because the fire was by my feet. I screamed, calling my daughter Paulina. When she heard me shouting, she came to see what was happening,” Nhlapo said.
Phalo immediately rushed to her mother’s aid and helped her out of the burning room.
By then, the flames had spread to another bedroom where her sister and a visitor were sleeping. The family managed to escape the burning house.
Nhlapo and others who were inside the house were taken to Manapo Hospital after inhaling smoke and received treatment.
Phalo, however, did not go to hospital because she feared leaving the property unattended could expose the family’s remaining belongings to theft.
“I am grateful for life and God’s grace. We must accept because it has already happened,” she said.
But surviving the fire has left the family facing a new crisis: they have lost their food, money, phones, bank cards, clothing and other essential belongings.
Phalo said the family has been struggling to survive since the fire.
“We do not have food. We have been drinking water since Saturday. Our money burned, the phone and bank cards. We really need help,” she said.
Phalo, who is disabled and lives with diabetes, said the ordeal has also worsened her physical condition.
She has spinal injuries from two previous car accidents and fell during the chaos as the family tried to escape, aggravating her existing injury.
The family has also questioned the emergency response to the blaze.
Phalo said a neighbour contacted the fire brigade after the fire started but was reportedly told that no fire engine was available to respond.
She said police were also not immediately available and only arrived at about 16:00 on Sunday.Ward 29 councillor Thuso Maboea visited the family on Monday during The Guard’s interview.
Maboea said relevant stakeholders had already been informed and that he had visited to provide immediate assistance.
“I am here to offer assistance such as food and to report the matter to the relevant stakeholders because this terrible incident happened in my ward,” Maboea said.
He said the incident would be escalated to the relevant authorities and organisations to ensure the family receives assistance.
The family is now appealing to the community, government departments, businesses and charitable organisations for urgent help with food, clothing, household necessities and other basic needs.
For Phalo, her mother and the rest of the family, escaping the flames has brought immense gratitude for life — but also the painful reality of having to rebuild their lives almost from scratch.
“We are grateful for life and God’s grace,” Nhlapo said.
One Response
Eish so sad but we thank God that no one died