Court denies bail to five in farm murder

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Email
Murdered Celemuzi Hlatswayo.

By Teboho Moloi

QWAQWA — The family of murdered Celemuzi Hlatswayo (20) has welcomed a decision by the Phuthaditjhaba Magistrate’s Court to deny bail to five accused in his killing.

Hlatswayo’s burnt, partially decomposed body was found in a donga on a farm along the Clarens route days after he was reported missing.

On Friday, 27 February, the court dismissed all bail applications, describing the crime as a senseless murder and ruling that the release of the accused would outrage the community and undermine the interests of justice.

The accused — Malefetsane Mokoena, Oupa Mofokeng, Mahlape Mokoena, Kgalemang Masaballa and Lomile Hlolloane — face a Schedule 6 murder charge, conspiracy to commit murder with common purpose, with a possible kidnapping charge to be added.

The court heard that Hlatswayo was allegedly lured to a house in Matsikeng by his girlfriend, also an accused, under false pretences that she and her child had been evicted and needed help.

The defence argued that the investigating officer relied on assumptions and hearsay, citing the accused’s family responsibilities, employment, cooperation with police and claims of duress as exceptional circumstances for bail.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Mapitori Matale strongly opposed bail, citing the seriousness of the offence, risks to witnesses and the community, flight risk, and statements — including a confession by accused one — linking all five to the crime.

In denying bail, the court found no exceptional circumstances, rejected claims that willingness to turn state witness justified release, and warned that the accused were likely to evade trial if freed.

Hlatswayo’s brother, Thulani, said no court decision could heal the family’s pain but welcomed the ruling. His aunt, Lillian Hlatswayo, said the family now awaits a speedy trial to learn why he was killed.

The case was postponed to 30 March for further investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bloemfontein
19/05
Tue
8°C
overcast clouds
Wed
daily_wether_icon
18°C
15°C
Thu
daily_wether_icon
17°C
15°C
Fri
daily_wether_icon
15°C
16°C
Sat
daily_wether_icon
16°C
17°C
Sun
daily_wether_icon
18°C
18°C
Mon
daily_wether_icon
19°C
18°C
Tue
daily_wether_icon
18°C
17°C
Related Posts
Rametlae Setjhaba 'tjabination' Resekgobo.
Read More
TMD municipality Youth Development Officer Mpiyakhe Tshabalala appeals on youth to celebrate June16 meaningful.
Read More
Mafube learners doing CPR after EMs paramedics demonstration.
Read More
16 May 2026
Teacher arrested over alleged corporal punishment
By Teboho Moloi HARRISMITH – The Free State Department of Education has launched an internal investigation...
09 May 2026
Police bust R7.8m illicit cigarette haul
By Teboho Moloi BETHLEHEM – Two foreign nationals, aged 27 and 28, have been arrested after police uncovered...
09 May 2026
Police hunt killers after businessman gunned down in Meqheleng
By Teboho Moloi FICKSBURG – Free State police have launched a manhunt and appealed for public assistance...
27 April 2026
Mora o leka ho bolaya Mmae, ho fumana maemo ka hara lequlwana
Ka Teboho Moloi LADYBRAND -Lekgotla la magistrata la Ladybrand le kgutliseditse nyewe kgahlano le moqusuwa...
27 April 2026
Triple life sentences for cop killer
By Teboho Moloi WELKOM – A 55-year old Mozambican national has been handed three life sentences for the...
25 April 2026
Industrial hub under siege as vandals target infrastructure in Qwaqwa
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – Escalating acts of vandalism and cable theft in Qwaqwa’s Industrial Area 2 have...
22 April 2026
R50,000 reward offered to crack wave of QwaQwa murders
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – Police in the Free State have put a R50,000 bounty on the table in a renewed...
19 April 2026
Suspect escapes police custody in Heilbron, manhunt launched
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – What should have been a policing success has turned into a major embarrassment...
08 April 2026
Confession leads police to girlfriend’s body in Qwaqwa murder case
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – A 42-year old Slovo Park man is behind bars after allegedly walking into a police...
07 April 2026
Bloemfontein rocked by brutal Easter weekend violence
By Teboho Moloi BLOEMFONTEIN – A wave of violence over the Easter weekend has left two young men dead...