Residents protest against water crisis

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Email

By Masilo Malakwane

QWAQWA – Residents of Qholaqhwe, Matsikeng and parts of Tebang on Monday took to the streets to protest against water shortages that have plagued them for about two years.


The protest was dubbed “Metsi Pompong” (water from taps), and the residents claim it’s been two years since they had a consistent supply of water, and had had to rely on tankers’ distribution system.
Learning and teaching were disrupted in some primary schools as some teachers and learners were forced to return home when protesters blockaded the Old Phuthaditjhaba Cemetery Street with rocks, burning tyres and JoJo tanks to express their frustration.


At least 15 JoJo tanks which were placed at various stations across the ward were torched.
A resident who spoke on condition of anonymity claimed the water crisis in their Ward means they are forced to rely mainly on rain water for survival.


“We have no choice because it’s been two weeks since the JoJo trucks distributed water here. We are tired! We want water from our taps nothing else,” he said.
Scorpiee Tsotetsi, who resides in Qholaqhwe village, between 2019 and October 2020 they never experienced any water shortages.


“This JoJo tankering distribution system is just not working at all; as we speak now they have not been filled with water for weeks now,” said Tsotetsi.
She said she voted Map16 hoping it will bring much-needed solutions service delivery challenges, but she regrets her choice.
“We gave our councillor a fair chance since he was in the ANC, but he continues to fail the community of Ward 24 and we’re still struggling to get tap water. I’m very disappointed,” she said.


Ward 24 Councillor, Shashapa Motaung told this publication that the interruption to JoJo trucks distributing water in the area was due to “a pump that was supposed to pump water from Sterkfontein dam to Upstruction Point in Bluegumbosch was not working”.
However, he said they had a community meeting last week Wednesday, where he outlined the solution of water crisis in his area.


But when this publication approached MaP Water for comment, its acting communications manager, Kelopile Mongake, issued a statement on Sunday 12 February, which reads: “MaP Water would like to inform the residents, public representatives, councils of traditional leadership, management of the public and/or private institutions/businesses about water supply interruption.

Affected Areas are: Makwane, Molapo, Mollakwekwe, Sekgutlong, Monyakeng, Masimong, Pereng, Matsikeng, Khabisi, Tebang & Qholaqoe. The reason for this is a burst pipe. Water tankers will be dispatched in the affected areas to supply the community with water until such time that the aforementioned matter is resolved’”


Meanwhile, Maluti a Phofung municipality’s Executive Mayor, Gilbert Mokotso has since expressed his at the burning of the JoJo tanks and described it as an act of crime.


“We condemn such irresponsible behaviour of burning the municipality properties and we wish to warn our community to refrain from such acts,” said Mokotso.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bloemfontein
17/02
Tue
20°C
clear sky
Wed
daily_wether_icon
28°C
24°C
Thu
daily_wether_icon
30°C
29°C
Fri
daily_wether_icon
31°C
33°C
Sat
daily_wether_icon
29°C
30°C
Sun
daily_wether_icon
21°C
20°C
Mon
daily_wether_icon
20°C
19°C
Tue
daily_wether_icon
21°C
17°C
Related Posts
IMG-20260216-WA0007
Read More
IMG-20260216-WA0001
Read More
IMG-20260214-WA0002
Read More
14 February 2026
IEC rallies media against election misinformation
By Emily Setona BLOEMFONTEIN – The Electoral Commission of South Africa (IEC) has urged journalists,...
13 February 2026
Shivambu’s Mayibuye Afrika aligns with traditional leaders
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – Mayibuye Afrika leader Floyd Shivambu says his newly formed party will work...
26 January 2026
Motsoeneng confident ACM will rewrite QwaQwa’s political history
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – African Content Movement (ACM) president Hlaudi Motsoeneng says his party is...
14 January 2026
Smart money moves key to beating “Januworry”
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – As South Africans grapple with the annual financial strain known as “Januworry”,...
05 January 2026
Queen Neo Mopeli carries marginalised voices into SA’s climate decisions
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – Maluti-a-Phofung has secured a rare and powerful voice at the heart of South...
18 December 2025
FS Premier warns against illegal land occupation
By Teboho Moloi BETHLEHEM – Free State Premier MaQueen Letsoha-Mathae has issued a stern warning to residents...
04 December 2025
I did not take hawkers’ money — Chairperson
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA — The chairperson of the Setsing Hawkers Association (SHA), Motlatsi Rapetso,...
26 November 2025
Community takes Demarcation Board to court
By Teboho Moloi HARRISMITH – The battle over municipal boundaries in the eastern Free State has intensified,...
20 November 2025
Young female street shoemaker with big dreams
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – When her father, the family’s breadwinner, passed away two years ago, 24-year-old...
18 November 2025
Govt commits 30% of ad spend to community newspapers
By Libuseng Nyaka JOHANNESBURG – Deputy Minister in the Presidency Kenneth Morolong says government has...