Workers slam Mokotso over power outages

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Email

By Masilo Malakwane

QWA QWA –Angry workers of QwaQwa factories were up in arms on Wednesday as they expressed their outrage at the Executive Mayor of Maluti-a-Phofung Gilbert Mokotso demanding immediate restoration of power in the industrial areas.

The workers told this publication that the current constant power outages in the municipality are costing them their jobs, hence they decided to stage a protest over potential job losses.

Joseph Mlangeni said “we are always told to return home due to power outages in the industrial areas and our municipality is slow to attend to this power crisis.”  

Jeminah Mokoena said the electricity crisis in MAP is making life difficult for them as it has terribly affected the factory industry. “As a single parent and a breadwinner, these power outages will negatively affect our wages come fortnight. This is because there is no production.”

Businessman Anisha Ranjith who has been doing business for about a decade in the industrial area, said the business industry in MAP area is slowly collapsing every day. She said she finds it difficult to pay her 90 employees because she cannot afford to buy a generator. “The situation had worsened for the past two weeks now and we would be forced to close our businesses if the municipality fails to find a solution,” said Ranjith.

Meanwhile, the chairperson of MAP-Business and Community Development Association (MAP-BCDA) Nelson Moekoa said the business community loses more than a billion rand a year due to constant power outages. “The solution is for Eskom to build a new mini substation that would supply only the industrial areas,” said Moekoa.

Factory workers marching to Maluti a Phofung unhappy with regular power cuts.

He also emphasised the fact that municipality should force foreign businessman to comply with the by-laws of the municipality.

However, Gilbert Mokotso said the municipality has paid Eskom M74-million but it continues to cut off electricity.

“Indeed, there was load-shedding in the industrial areas and some parts of our residential areas, for different reasons. In some parts of our areas our main power lines had been cut off by a tree that had fallen when someone was cutting trees around his yard on the  outskirts of Makwane; but we promise to restore them as soon as Eskom plays its part.” said Mokotso.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bloemfontein
18/05
Mon
8°C
broken clouds
Tue
daily_wether_icon
18°C
15°C
Wed
daily_wether_icon
18°C
16°C
Thu
daily_wether_icon
18°C
17°C
Fri
daily_wether_icon
15°C
16°C
Sat
daily_wether_icon
17°C
17°C
Sun
daily_wether_icon
18°C
18°C
Mon
daily_wether_icon
18°C
18°C
Related Posts
Rametlae Setjhaba 'tjabination' Resekgobo.
Read More
TMD municipality Youth Development Officer Mpiyakhe Tshabalala appeals on youth to celebrate June16 meaningful.
Read More
Mafube learners doing CPR after EMs paramedics demonstration.
Read More
07 May 2026
MEC Mance tables R2.3bn plan to rebuild province's infrastructure
By Emily Setona WELKOM – Free State Public Works and Infrastructure MEC Dibolelo Mance has tabled a R2.3...
29 April 2026
Treasury cracks down on failing municipalities
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – The Free State Treasury has drawn a hard line against municipal dysfunction,...
29 April 2026
Budget vows collide with ground reality in Free State
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – A R3.58 billion budget pitched as a catalyst for growth and service delivery...
22 April 2026
Tunnel breakthrough and Senqu Bridge launch propel LHWP into decisive phase
By Emily Setona QWAQWA, 23 April 2026 – The Lesotho Highlands Water Project (LHWP) has entered a critical...
18 April 2026
MEC orders crackdown on illegal spaza shops
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – Free State MEC for Finance, Economic Development and Tourism, Ketso Makume,...
17 March 2026
Makume targets clean governance, jobs, cost relief
By Emily Setona BLOEMFONTEIN – Free State Finance MEC Ketso Makume has tabled a R47.9 billion 2026/27...
17 March 2026
Speechless, proud: FS girls dominate budget essay contest
By Emily Setona BLOEMFONTEIN – Free State’s top young minds were all female as five Grade 12 learners...
14 January 2026
Smart money moves key to beating “Januworry”
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – As South Africans grapple with the annual financial strain known as “Januworry”,...
04 December 2025
I did not take hawkers’ money — Chairperson
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA — The chairperson of the Setsing Hawkers Association (SHA), Motlatsi Rapetso,...
20 November 2025
Young female street shoemaker with big dreams
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – When her father, the family’s breadwinner, passed away two years ago, 24-year-old...