Court delays bail ruling in brutal farm murder

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Email

By Teboho Moloi

QWAQWA – Five accused in the brutal murder of 20-year-old Celumuzi Hlatswayo will wait until 25 February 2026 to learn whether they will be granted bail.

Hlatswayo’s burnt, half-decomposed body was found in a donga on a farm along the Clarens route, six days after he was reported missing.

Malefetsane Mokoena, Oupa Mofokeng, Mahlape Mokoena, Kgalemang Masaballa and Lomile Hlolloane appeared briefly in the Phuthaditjhaba Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, 19 February, expecting a ruling on their bail applications. The matter was postponed after a late start to court proceedings and a lengthy roll.

All five face charges of murder and conspiracy to commit murder. The State indicated that additional charges may follow and is opposing bail.

During earlier proceedings, the court heard that Hlatswayo was allegedly lured to a house in Matsikeng by his girlfriend — also an accused — under the pretext that she and her child had been evicted and needed help.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Mapitori Matale testified that the State has a strong case and that releasing the accused would not be in the interests of justice. She described Mokoena as the alleged mastermind and told the court he had made a confession.

Matale said preliminary investigations revealed that Mokoena allegedly instructed two co-accused to seize Hlatswayo, force him into a vehicle and stab him. The two denied stabbing the victim but admitted forcing him into the car.

The court also heard that the deceased’s girlfriend allegedly acted on instructions from Mokoena to summon Hlatswayo. Mokoena is reportedly her uncle and the spouse of accused five, Hlolloane, a teacher whose vehicle was allegedly used in the crime.

Mokoena told the court he intends to plead guilty. Some co-accused indicated they would plead not guilty but are willing to turn State witnesses.

Matale further testified that Mokoena had previous convictions for assault and theft, contradicting his affidavit that he had no prior record.The court will deliver its bail decision on 25 February.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bloemfontein
19/05
Tue
8°C
overcast clouds
Wed
daily_wether_icon
18°C
15°C
Thu
daily_wether_icon
17°C
15°C
Fri
daily_wether_icon
15°C
16°C
Sat
daily_wether_icon
16°C
17°C
Sun
daily_wether_icon
18°C
18°C
Mon
daily_wether_icon
19°C
18°C
Tue
daily_wether_icon
18°C
17°C
Related Posts
Rametlae Setjhaba 'tjabination' Resekgobo.
Read More
TMD municipality Youth Development Officer Mpiyakhe Tshabalala appeals on youth to celebrate June16 meaningful.
Read More
Mafube learners doing CPR after EMs paramedics demonstration.
Read More
16 May 2026
Teacher arrested over alleged corporal punishment
By Teboho Moloi HARRISMITH – The Free State Department of Education has launched an internal investigation...
09 May 2026
Police bust R7.8m illicit cigarette haul
By Teboho Moloi BETHLEHEM – Two foreign nationals, aged 27 and 28, have been arrested after police uncovered...
09 May 2026
Police hunt killers after businessman gunned down in Meqheleng
By Teboho Moloi FICKSBURG – Free State police have launched a manhunt and appealed for public assistance...
27 April 2026
Mora o leka ho bolaya Mmae, ho fumana maemo ka hara lequlwana
Ka Teboho Moloi LADYBRAND -Lekgotla la magistrata la Ladybrand le kgutliseditse nyewe kgahlano le moqusuwa...
27 April 2026
Triple life sentences for cop killer
By Teboho Moloi WELKOM – A 55-year old Mozambican national has been handed three life sentences for the...
25 April 2026
Industrial hub under siege as vandals target infrastructure in Qwaqwa
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – Escalating acts of vandalism and cable theft in Qwaqwa’s Industrial Area 2 have...
22 April 2026
R50,000 reward offered to crack wave of QwaQwa murders
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – Police in the Free State have put a R50,000 bounty on the table in a renewed...
19 April 2026
Suspect escapes police custody in Heilbron, manhunt launched
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – What should have been a policing success has turned into a major embarrassment...
08 April 2026
Confession leads police to girlfriend’s body in Qwaqwa murder case
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – A 42-year old Slovo Park man is behind bars after allegedly walking into a police...
07 April 2026
Bloemfontein rocked by brutal Easter weekend violence
By Teboho Moloi BLOEMFONTEIN – A wave of violence over the Easter weekend has left two young men dead...