UFS DEPLOYS PRIVATE SECURITY

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Email

By Bongani Tshabalala

BLOEMFONTEIN-The registration process for returning undergraduate students and first-years has been extended at the University of the Free State.

Vice-chancellor Professor Francis Petersen said that the university recognises the financial difficulties that have affected students, specifically due to Covid-19 and unemployment.

However, Petersen explained that the concession to allow students to register would only apply to those who have debt of less than R25 000.

The university will arrange for payment plans to be developed as the academic year progresses.

“The historical debt has increased to R300-million, and [the university] cannot continuously provide concessions. These debts will only increase, and the university will be unable to write the debt off completely because of the risk and liabilities for which the university is responsible.”

For the past two weeks, students at universities nationwide have been protesting to be allowed to register even if they have historical debt.

 Last week during a stand-off between the police and students from the University of Witwatersrand, Mthokozisi Ntumba was killed by police. The South African Union of Students (SAUS) released a statement condemning the brutality and violence during protests in Braamfontein, where live ammunition was used against unarmed students.

A list of demands was issued by the SAUS, which includes funding and free registration for students for the 2021 year. The union has called for a national shutdown of all higher education institutions from Monday.

Following the call for national shutdown, Universities South Africa, a forum of the 26 universities, met on Monday to discuss funding issues.

UFS Professor Francis Petersen.

Responding to the national shutdown and the university’s involvement, Petersen said the safety and the well-being of all staff and students is a priority.

Petersen indicated that the university supports students who protest while ensuring the stability of its campuses.

He said there were currently protests underway at the Bloemfontein campus while the others remained undisrupted.

“There were blockages of students by the main gate, but students who were registered for face-to-face classes, and staff, were redirected to alternative entrances. We allow protests, but they tried to disrupt our face-to-face classes. Still, the protests are ongoing, but private security is on campus to control and monitor these protests to ensure it does not get out of hand.”

Petersen indicated that employing private security allows the university more control than the South African Police Force’s involvement. The private security contractors are unarmed and will regulate and control the environment according to the university’s instructions.

He also called for the National Student Financial Aid Scheme to be more financially sustainable for students.

“Education is not an investment where a return must be ensured, but an expenditure, and that is how the national treasury must engage with the budget on higher education.”

The vice-chancellor added that politicians must not exploit higher education to ‘further political score’ instead, this must be dealt with as a collective issue, and resources must be pooled to develop a sustainable financial model for students.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bloemfontein
29/11
Sat
12°C
broken clouds
Sun
daily_wether_icon
26°C
25°C
Mon
daily_wether_icon
27°C
28°C
Tue
daily_wether_icon
28°C
31°C
Wed
daily_wether_icon
25°C
29°C
Thu
daily_wether_icon
26°C
26°C
Fri
daily_wether_icon
27°C
30°C
Sat
daily_wether_icon
28°C
18°C
Related Posts
IMG-20251128-WA0001
Read More
1761837948239
Read More
1761837948239
Read More
25 November 2025
Women rise against GBVF
By Emily Setona BLOEMFONTEIN – As the country marks the start of the 16 Days of Activism for No Violence...
20 November 2025
Young female street shoemaker with big dreams
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – When her father, the family’s breadwinner, passed away two years ago, 24-year-old...
18 November 2025
Govt commits 30% of ad spend to community newspapers
By Libuseng Nyaka JOHANNESBURG – Deputy Minister in the Presidency Kenneth Morolong says government has...
17 November 2025
Construction sector ordered to step up
By Emily Setona BOKSBURG – At the heart of the 2025 National Construction Summit lies a clear and...
04 November 2025
SA activist blames Lesotho Home Affairs for illegal border crossings
By Teboho Moloi FICKSBURG – Meqheleng community activist Ishmael Khosi has accused the Lesotho Department...
29 October 2025
Cherry Jazz Festival blow hits Ficksburg economy
By Emily Setona FICKSBURG – The cancellation of the 2025 Cherry Jazz Festival has dealt a major blow...
27 October 2025
Young dancer from Mafube aims for world stage
By Emily Setona BLOEMFONTEIN – At just 11 years old, Khwezi Mazibuko is already proving that passion,...
23 October 2025
FDC cracks down on debtors to rebuild financial stability
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – The Free State Development Corporation (FDC) has intensified its debt collection...
04 October 2025
Qwaqwa Radio unveils new digital studios
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – Qwaqwa Community Radio marked a new era on Friday as the Presidency unveiled...
02 October 2025
Setsoto FM Jazz Festival cancelled – fans disappointed
By Teboho Moloi FICKSBURG– Jazz enthusiasts and loyal supporters of Setsoto FM are left disappointed...