Strict bail conditions for Kill Crime directors accused of defrauding municipality of R58m

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Email

By Staff Reporter

QWAQWA – Directors of Kill Crime  security company , Thabiso Benjamin Sekhosana,55, and  Dimakatso Christine Sekhosana ,29 , who are  charged of  defrauding Maluti-a-phofung over R57 million have been granted a bail of R150 000 00 under strict conditions  by Phuthaditjhaba Magistrate D. Kettledas on Monday  August, 01 2022 .

The  case was postponed  to September 30 for further investigation.

A pair ‘s bail condition include house arrest from six to six Monday to Sunday , reporting  to Phuthaditjhaba police station once a week ,and were  also ordered to surrender their passports.

The crime was allegedly committed in 2020 when municipal manager of Maluti-a- Phofung  Futhuli Patrick Mothamaha ,47 addressed as accused one, authorized a contract to a Kill Crime security company (accused number four), a tender worth R58 million for security services without tender being advertised.

Granting bail to the Sekhosanas, Kettledas said , court has considered public interest and amount of money that was paid with no dispute and also  considered the fact that they had been cooperative  and had handed themselves to police .

He however  said despite  arrangement  made  between the defence and state prior court appearance that an amount of R50 000 00 had been agreed upon and there will be no opposition to bail  , he still need to  use his discretion to determine the amount of bail as rejected R50 000,00, instead imposed R150 000,00 .

“You must see yourself as lucky that arrangement was made that the state will not oppose the bail and agreed on a bail of R50 000.00 But the court must be mindful of circumstances put before it and that corruption is prevalent . Arrangement has been made between defence and state but I must use my discretion . People  suffer and we have to pay large amount of taxes because of corruption. This is a serious matter therefore R150 000,00 is the bail, R50 000 00 is too little for an amount of money paid.”

This after a pair through their legal representative attorney Tshepo Thuso told the court that they intend not to plead guilty to the charges.

Public Prosecutor Advocate Phendulwa Zondo concurred with defence lawyer that state is not opposing bail and have agreed on the bail of R50  000,00 which magistrate has already rejected as too little.

According to the Hawks spokesperson Christopher Singo, It is reported that the chief financial officer (CFO) warned the MM through writing several letters advising him to advertise the tender.

“It is reported CFO wrote several letters  to the municipal manager advising him to advertise the tender for the security services but he failed to do so. An estimation of R58 million was paid to the service provider irregularly for a period of two years.”

He said the pair handed themselves in to the Bethlehem office of the Hawks after the matter was reported to the serious corruption investigation team on Sunday July 31,2022.

During an interview with this publication after court proceedings, Singo said more arrests are imminent including that of municipal manager.

The state intends to call up to 15 witnesses to testify.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bloemfontein
18/05
Mon
11°C
clear sky
Tue
daily_wether_icon
18°C
15°C
Wed
daily_wether_icon
18°C
16°C
Thu
daily_wether_icon
18°C
17°C
Fri
daily_wether_icon
15°C
16°C
Sat
daily_wether_icon
17°C
17°C
Sun
daily_wether_icon
18°C
18°C
Mon
daily_wether_icon
18°C
18°C
Related Posts
Rametlae Setjhaba 'tjabination' Resekgobo.
Read More
TMD municipality Youth Development Officer Mpiyakhe Tshabalala appeals on youth to celebrate June16 meaningful.
Read More
Mafube learners doing CPR after EMs paramedics demonstration.
Read More
07 May 2026
MEC Mance tables R2.3bn plan to rebuild province's infrastructure
By Emily Setona WELKOM – Free State Public Works and Infrastructure MEC Dibolelo Mance has tabled a R2.3...
29 April 2026
Treasury cracks down on failing municipalities
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – The Free State Treasury has drawn a hard line against municipal dysfunction,...
29 April 2026
Budget vows collide with ground reality in Free State
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – A R3.58 billion budget pitched as a catalyst for growth and service delivery...
28 April 2026
Freedom Day at 32: Unity holds, pressure mounts
By Emily Setona BLOEMFONTEIN – South Africa marked 32 years of democracy with a sharp message from national...
28 April 2026
FS ANC backs internal discipline, dismisses court challenges
By Teboho Moloi PARYS – The Free State ANC says it has the capacity to resolve internal disputes without...
22 April 2026
Tunnel breakthrough and Senqu Bridge launch propel LHWP into decisive phase
By Emily Setona QWAQWA, 23 April 2026 – The Lesotho Highlands Water Project (LHWP) has entered a critical...
22 April 2026
Hlaudi pitches himself as sole fix for troubled MAP
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – African Content Movement (ACM) leader Hlaudi Motsoeneng has positioned himself...
22 April 2026
ANC tightens grip in Thabo Mofutsanyana, vows accountability crackdown
By Teboho Moloi BETHLEHEM – The African National Congress (ANC) in the Thabo Mofutsanyana region has...
22 April 2026
COSATU slams municipalities over outdated structures crippling service delivery
By Teboho Moloi BETHLEHEM – The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) in the Free State has...
18 April 2026
MEC orders crackdown on illegal spaza shops
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – Free State MEC for Finance, Economic Development and Tourism, Ketso Makume,...