Motsoeneng on the ropes

Facebook
X
LinkedIn
WhatsApp
Email

By Masilo Malakwane

QWAQWA- Former SABC Chief Operating Officer, Hlaudi Motsoeneng is seeking divine intervention as his legal woes pile up with the SABC demanding he pays back R11.5 million to the public broadcaster.

Motsoeneng asked the AME Trinity Church to pray for him during a church service on January 9 at Phuthaditjhaba.

This comes after Johannesburg High court Judge Aj Khan ‘s ruling on 15 December 2021, that Motsoeneng must pay back R11.5-million within seven days to the national broadcasting corporation, which he had received as a ‘success fee’.

According to the court ruling, the 2.5 percent ‘success fee’ which was awarded to Motsoeneng for ‘raising funds’ to the tune of R1.19-billion for the SABC in August 2016, was paid after the SABC’s Governance and Nominations Committee’s approval. The court ruled that this was an illegitimate payment.

Speaking to members of the AME Trinity Church, Motsoeneng asked the church to pray for him ahead of his court battles against the public broadcaster.

 “I was shocked by that decision of the High Court. People should know that my journey with the SABC begun in the 80’s, while I was still in high school. After being promoted to the position of COO, I saved the 800 employees from retrenchment. The SABC board had already decided to dismiss them.

“In the whole country, no one has been able to bring more than a billion rand to the SABC without me. The SABC’s 24-hour Channel 404 was responsible for the SABC’s financial stability under my tenure. That 24-hour news channel has created many jobs for black and white South Africans,” he said.

Motsoeneng, who was accompanied by members of his political party – the ACM – said he drew strength from the fact that many South Africans were satisfied with his decision to appeal the High Court judgement.

Party spokesperson, Kabelo Molefe, told The Guard that Motsoeneng is a scapegoat of politicians using the courts of law to fight their battles.

Former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng at AME Trinity church in Phuthaditjhaba.

“Motsoeneng has repeatedly stated and clarified his academic status, but even today he is being hounded by those he disagreed with. I blame the media for spreading slander in order to tarnish his reputation.”  

Motsoeneng’s reign at the SABC was marred by controversy and accusations of serving the interests of broadcasting giant MultiChoice against government directives, lying about his qualifications, and having had a hand in the firing of the SABC 8, to name a few. The ruling further clarified that should Motsoeneng not pay the amount owed, the mandate to pay would fall on the Pension Fund, which had withheld Motsoeneng’s pension earnings after his dismissal from the corporation in 2017.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bloemfontein
17/02
Tue
26°C
few clouds
Wed
daily_wether_icon
28°C
24°C
Thu
daily_wether_icon
30°C
29°C
Fri
daily_wether_icon
31°C
33°C
Sat
daily_wether_icon
29°C
30°C
Sun
daily_wether_icon
21°C
20°C
Mon
daily_wether_icon
20°C
19°C
Tue
daily_wether_icon
21°C
17°C
Related Posts
IMG-20260216-WA0007
Read More
IMG-20260216-WA0001
Read More
IMG-20260214-WA0002
Read More
14 February 2026
IEC rallies media against election misinformation
By Emily Setona BLOEMFONTEIN – The Electoral Commission of South Africa (IEC) has urged journalists,...
13 February 2026
Shivambu’s Mayibuye Afrika aligns with traditional leaders
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – Mayibuye Afrika leader Floyd Shivambu says his newly formed party will work...
26 January 2026
Motsoeneng confident ACM will rewrite QwaQwa’s political history
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – African Content Movement (ACM) president Hlaudi Motsoeneng says his party is...
14 January 2026
Smart money moves key to beating “Januworry”
By Emily Setona QWAQWA – As South Africans grapple with the annual financial strain known as “Januworry”,...
18 December 2025
FS Premier warns against illegal land occupation
By Teboho Moloi BETHLEHEM – Free State Premier MaQueen Letsoha-Mathae has issued a stern warning to residents...
04 December 2025
I did not take hawkers’ money — Chairperson
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA — The chairperson of the Setsing Hawkers Association (SHA), Motlatsi Rapetso,...
26 November 2025
Community takes Demarcation Board to court
By Teboho Moloi HARRISMITH – The battle over municipal boundaries in the eastern Free State has intensified,...
20 November 2025
Young female street shoemaker with big dreams
By Teboho Moloi QWAQWA – When her father, the family’s breadwinner, passed away two years ago, 24-year-old...
18 November 2025
Govt commits 30% of ad spend to community newspapers
By Libuseng Nyaka JOHANNESBURG – Deputy Minister in the Presidency Kenneth Morolong says government has...
17 November 2025
Construction sector ordered to step up
By Emily Setona BOKSBURG – At the heart of the 2025 National Construction Summit lies a clear and...